[lit-ideas] Re: Aid Sought: Was ist metaphysic?

  • From: adriano paolo shaul gershom palma <palmaadriano@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 13:07:41 +0200

The likes of habermas and rawls ignore mtaphysics because they assume one
(in the case of habermas I guess it is some sort of aristotelian junk with
souls, human rights, reasons etc., in the cae of rawls it is closer to
quinean skepticism)
whta is it?
suppose you wish to claim that you have body and a soul, or that there is x
and x is F because F is universal.
one  may want to ask what is a universal. That is metaphysical question,
since there is no amount of empirical anything that will tell you whether
there are universals, or how many are there.
as in all these cases your method of work is argument and logic, no more
and no less.
variations abound, from those who think there is a question about verbs
(what it is "to be", not t be blue, but to be, full stop) about events (is
I am going to reach portland is there a completion of the process 'going to
portland' identical with my arrival in Portland? and ifo is metaphysically
right to have an ontology with processes and events, one or the other? why?0
not to mention standard problems such as
'assume the words in this sentence are seven' are there 'in there' eight
'objects' [the seven words and the number seven] or seven?

the rest is propaganda by chamber pot philosophasters who have nothing to
say and hence declare that "we are" in a post metaphysical word, much those
who have no clue about what physics says that we are ina post-physical
world...

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Walter C. Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx>wrote:

> Our Philosophy department's colloquium series of lectures this term is
> themed
> "What is metaphysics?" (In honour of the late James Bradley who lived for
> the
> promotion of speculative metaphysics and the trashing of Okshevsky's
> Habermasian views.) I have been asked to give a talk and I couldn't resist
> the
> title "Why we live in a post-metaphysical world." Alas, now I have to make
> good
> on my boldness and insolence. Does anyone out there know what
> "metaphysics" is
> about and why the ilk of Rawls and Habermas wish to ignore it?
>
> Stunned in Newfoundland,
>
> Walter O
>

> This electronic communication is governed by the terms and conditions at
> http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php

palma, KZN

*יד*  וַיַּעַן עָמוֹס, וַיֹּאמֶר אֶל-אֲמַצְיָה, לֹא-נָבִיא אָנֹכִי, וְלֹא
בֶן-נָבִיא אָנֹכִי:  כִּי-בוֹקֵר אָנֹכִי, וּבוֹלֵס שִׁקְמִים.

 palma

University of KwaZulu-Natal

Howard College Campus, philosophy department

Durban 4041 South Africa

Tel off: [+27] 03 12 60 15 91 Fax [+27] 03 12 60 30 31

admn Y. Hordyk : [+27] 03 12 60 22 92

mobile 07 62 36 23 91 from abroad +[27] 76 23 62 391

EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

palma's office 280 (3rd flr of Mtb)

from 2o13\o1  p212 on cognition p308 on rigidity p102 intrPHIL

 - check venues&schedule at administrator office  TBA

 *only when in Europe*:

inst. J. Nicod

29 rue d'Ulm

f-75005 paris france