[lit-ideas] Re: Agnotology

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:01:50 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/2011 2:51:27 P.M. ,  jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx
refers to

ajar:

1718,  perhaps from Scottish dialectal a char "slightly open," earlier on
char (early  16c.), from M.E. char, from O.E. cier "a turn."

referring to McEvoy's lecture on redundancy:

"I ignore what I ignore"

McEvoy writtes:

"[If] the "I know(1) I know(2)" is meant so that "know" (1) and (2) are
the self-same mental state, ... the expression is redundant (and makes as
little sense as 'Please close the door which is the door"

----

I know that p.
I know that I know that p.

No. It does not relate to the same mental 'state'. Someone may be ignorant
of Gettier's analysis of 'knoweldge' as 'justified true belief'.

"I know that p" --- as, as Grice says, 'when I say I know my name, or the
way home."

----

"I know that I know" seems to require that you know what 'know' stands  for.

Mutatis mutandi, for 'ignorance':

"I ignore that p."  (Geary, "I ignore that the earth is flat.")

"I ignore that I ignore that p."  requires, at the very least, a  course in
agnotology -- "the science of ignorance", as defined by Prof. Proctor,  of
Stanford.

Cheers,

JL