[lit-ideas] Agnes Martin

  • From: "Joe Leduc" <jgl15@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:25:02 -0500

http://harwoodmuseum.org/gallery4.php has a quicktime video of the Agnes
Martin gallery at the Harwood Museum.  More to come, I'm sure.

Famed abstract painter Agnes Martin dies

02:00 PM CST on Thursday, December 16, 2004

Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. ? Agnes Martin, one of the world's foremost abstract
artists whose spare paintings graced galleries around the world, died
Thursday. She was 92.

Martin died at 6 a.m. at the Plaza de Retiro, a retirement community in
Taos, N.M. said William Himes, the community's owner and administrator.

Martin had lived a simple life in the artists' haven in northern New Mexico
since 1991, even as her art grew in popularity in major cities around the
globe.

Her abstract works have been included in the collections of the Museum of
Modern Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Solomon R. Guggenheim
Museum, all in New York; and the Tate Gallery in London. In 1998, she won
the National Endowment for the Arts' prestigious National Medal of Art.

In a 1997 interview with The Associated Press, Martin said she wanted her
paintings to evoke a purely emotional response.

"There's nothing in the paintings to remind you of anything in the world,"
she said. "I think we have lots of emotions that aren't caused, like when
you wake up and you're just happy."

Her quiet life in northern New Mexico allowed her to achieve the
abstractness she desired in her work.

"I often paint tranquility. If you stop thinking and rest, then a little
happiness comes into your mind. At perfect rest you are comfortable," she
said.

--
Best to all,

Joe Leduc