[lit-ideas] Re: Advent Poem

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:25:51 -0700 (PDT)

I was just having fun too, unfortunately being kind of
dense about it.  The religious references do work
(shades of T.S. Eliot).  Seems to me a Christian
advent would be more appropriate in the spring anyway.
 Christmas is not, as far as I know, a particularly
Christian holiday, while spring and all the new life
it brings is very much a resurrection, the backbone of
Christianity.  The Russian Orthodox church hardly
mentions Christmas (January 7), while Easter is
celebrated in a very big, huge way.  Or used to be.
I'm sure it's different now.

Anyway, I'm still thinking up a storm to come up with
something upbeat.  So far I've rejected accelerated
glacier melt, but the U.S. might be on the brink (this
year) of eliminating bringing new coal fired power
plants on line.  That's upbeat. Not Friday night type
of upbeat, but it'll work, right?  Well, okay, I gotta
get back to thinking...

--- Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Irene:
> > Sorry, Mike.  I see
> > the springtime images and also the timeless
> images.
> > You are the poet laureate around here Mike.
> Truly.
>

> Thank you, Irene, but I was just playing off Robert
> Paul's facetious
> reference to me as a Seattle poet.  It amused me and
> so I chose to respond
> by going with his use of "advent" which,
> capitalized, is a liturgical feast
> in the Catholic Church beginning the month before
> Christmas -- the
> "Anticipation" would be a better name -- clerical
> vestment colors are purple
> during Advent which might well have been a cryptic
> reference, but I'm not
> responsible for others' ignorance of Catholic
> liturgy.
>
> I never ever question what anyone else says they see
> in anything I've
> written -- who am I to argue?  I have no idea what
> I'm "saying", I'm just
> having fun.  Which I thought was what I was saying.
>
> Mike Geary
> just grateful to be read.
> Memphis

Be a better friend, newshound, and