[lit-ideas] Re: Adios, amigo.

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:51:32 -0500

I have a lot of respect for J. Kozol and don't know your doctor friend....and anyway, we were talking about Cuba. Read Kozol's book...

Best,
Ursula

Eric Yost wrote:
>>Inspiring stuff.

Yeah, if you believe it. I spoke to a Venezuelan doctor about Fidel's sponsor, Chavez, achieving 100 percent literacy in his nation. Turns out the measure of "literacy" was the ability to sign one's name. Peasants were taught to sign their names so they could vote for Chavez. That's all they were taught, and hence were considered literate.

Thing is, almost everybody in Latin America knows about this kind of duplicitous stuff. We Northerners, though, full of Utopian dreams, tired of our own failures to realize the absolute, eat it up like starving elephants facing a carload of peanuts.