[lit-ideas] Adam's Spare-Rib and The Fall from Eden

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:18:16 EDT

Geary:

"Were Adam and Eve created with language  intact? Presumably they were. How
else the acquisition? So they must have  been talking God's own language. Why
then make Adam name  everything? Surely God knew what he had made."

Well, according to the Bible, God's main concern was that  Adam

                        had not "an help meet"

-- and 'meat' he'll soon get in the form of  "Woman".

What is curious is one would expect that after that  realisation on the part
of God, he would go and create Woman for Adam.

           "It is  not good that the man should
            be  alone. I will make him an help meet
            for  him.
            And  out of the ground the Lord formed
            EVERY  BEAST of the field.
            But  for Adam there was [still] not
            found  an help meet for him."

This is strictly ambiguous. If one follows the narrative,  we see God's
concern about Adam needing some kind of 'help'.

God possibly thought that by forming every beast of the  field, "Adam would
find an help meet" --

I am reminded of the Parrot of Robinson Crusoe or the  Bitch that J. R.
Ackerley loved so much (filmed with Gary Oldman). Indeed, some  beasts can
provide
very good 'mates', even 'help mates', like horses, cows, and  sheep.

Argentines for example are famously said to be keen on  'llamas' as 'help
meet':

           "An  Argentine gaucho called Bruno"
                      ... goes the limerick.

So, no animal (other than Woman) proved to be a Help-Meet  that Adam as
'looking'. It's curious how he IMMEDIATELY realized that Woman WILL  be his
Help-Meet (or Meat), having yet the Woman NOT done anything  special.

And wait when Adam loses Paradise for  her.

Cheers,

JL