[lit-ideas] Adam's Navel

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:42:12 EDT

We are discussing Gen. 1, 2:

           It is not good that the man should
            be alone. I will make him an help meet
            for him.
            And out of the ground the Lord formed
            EVERY BEAST of the field.
            But for Adam there was [still] not
            found an help meet for him."

Geary writes:

"That God didn't know what he was doing doesn't surprise  me. What I do find
puzzling is that He created a WOMAN to help  him -- a guy. What was He
thinking?"

In my previous post, I put forward the exegesis that God  having created
"every beast of the field" and yet realise that Adam  (perhaps _then_ more than
ever) an 'help-meet' was to help to manure  the Garden (of Eden).

On second thoughts, I put forward now a more sexological  exegesis. The focus
in this exegesis is on the word _mate_, as  in:

          A  (at a bar): Do you come here often.
          B: Only on  the mating season.

-- 'mate' (or 'meet') was an Old English expression for  'to copulate' (as in
'breed'). So Adam may have found that of 'every beast in  the field' no such
beast (and rightly so) would serve him as a _mate_ in that  respect.

It's obvious that there is a lot of scientific thinking here. It was a
question of DNA. Not even the tallest orangoutan would do the job. It has to
have
the same DNA to reproduce (or at least 'mate' -- the senses were confused  in
Old English).

Note that to provide Adam with a 'mate to mate' (if you excuse me the
redundancy) he had to work as from Adam's DNA. He _could_ have chosen the left
little toe (as Geary suggests) which would have involved no surgery (as we
clipped off the little toe in dogs like Yorkshire terriers). He chose a rib,
well
into the stomach.

One interpretation for this is that God chose a 'genital' area (almost),  and
that, upon extracting the rib, created Adam's navel. The surgery was indeed
made

_http://www.landoverbaptist.org/sermons/navel.html_
(http://www.landoverbaptist.org/sermons/navel.html)

      in the very area  where God intended to attach
      future children  within the wombs of their mothers. T
      he outward thrust  created a puncture hole, and thus
     became, for Adam, the  first belly-button.

and not to dissimilar in form to the bodies  of Cain and Abel -- who would
not be asking embarrassing questions to his father  as to why _they_ had a
navel
but he hasn't.

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza