[lit-ideas] Adam's Navel

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:16:37 EDT

>I wonder what accent God had when
>he talked to Adam and Eve? Or to
>Moses? Or to Mohammed? Is God an
>omniaccentual being?

-- I don't know what language God used, but it is interesting  to explore
what language Adam used to communicate with Eve (remember she was  formerly one
of Adam's ribs).

I think this is called "Edenic language" and I tend to  remember that Umberto
Eco, in perhaps "Opera Aperta" analyses this language in  terms of a binary
code.

Geary is of the opinion that Adam spoke "Adamish":

1569 _GOLDING_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-g.html#golding)
 tr. Heminge's  Postill. 16
Hys newe byrth which sanctifieth the olde Adamishe and  corrupt byrthe.

One point that Borges liked to discourse upon is that while most pictorial
representations show him as displaying a navel, he possibly didn't have  one.

Cheers,

JL