[lit-ideas] Actions speak louder than words

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:07:56 -0800

When Bush was criticized for his stingy aid to the tsunami victims, he defended
himself by
saying "Actions speak louder than words".

Indeed.

See the following.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

From http://americablog.blogspot.com/

Religious right Web sites ignore Tsunami relief, while liberal religious sites
appeal for
tsunami donations

A review of the home pages of the religious right, inspired by a post
to my comments, shows that America's "value voters" don't seem to have
very good values.

A quick review of the home pages of the top sites of the religious
right:

- American Family Association has one small news story up, not even
something they themselves wrote, and no appeal for money. The only
"action alert" is about the Ten Commandments. I guess AFA is only truly
concerned about the American family: http://www.afa.net/

- The Family Research Council has nothing about the Tsunami. Their
headline is about "activist judges." http://www.frc.org/

- Traditional Values Coalition has a very small link or two from
WorldNetDaily about the Tsunami, but the link is BURIED on their page.
No apparent appeal for money for the victims. But lots of news about
the homosexual agenda, which apparently is a bigger calamity than
150,000 dead in Asia.  http://www.traditionalvalues.org/

- Concerned Women for America, not a thing. Though they do have an
essay about how the media has lost is sense of morality. Apparently the
CWFA is only concerned about American women.
http://www.cwfa.org/main.asp

- Pat Robertson's Web site. Nothing.  www.patrobertson.com

- Jerry Falwell's Web site has nothing, even though he did post an
updated letter from himself dated December 30, days after the Tsunami
hit. http://www.falwell.com/?a=

- National Association of Evangelicals, nothing. http://www.nae.net/

- Focus on the Family to its credit does have a prominent link to give
money. I wonder how long that's been up.  http://www.family.org/

Just for yucks, I decided to check out the Web sites of the "religious
left."
- The Interfaith Alliance, the coalition of progressive religious
groups meant to serve as a counterforce to the religious right, has an
appeal for money for tsunami victims at the top of their site.
http://www.interfaithalliance.org

- Soulforce, the gay answer to the religious right, has a massive
urgent appeal for Tsunami aid at the top of their page.
http://www.soulforce.org/

- The Metropolitan Community Church, the largest gay church, has an
urgent fundraising appeal at the top of their site.
http://www.mccchurch.org/

- The United Church of Christ, which recently found itself in hot water
over it's pro-gay pro-inclusion ad campaign, has an appeal for money to
help the tsunami victims at the top of its site.
http://www.ucc.org/index3.html

- The Religious Action Center for Reform Judaism (I'd call them the
Jews' response to the religious right, though the RAC was around before
the religious right) has a big appeal at the top of their site.
http://rac.org/index.cfm?