[lit-ideas] Re: Accent, Boche and Kybosh

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 16:33:09 -0700

Ursula wrote

And then there's the Quebecois term of endearment:  mon petite chou-chou.

I'll take your word for it of course, but 'mon petit chou' (my little
cabbage), is a not-uncommon French term of endearment for children,
and perhaps for lovers and the like. The Québécois expression makes it
sound as if one were being called a 'little train.' (Maybe that too is
endearing.) I've always liked the Oregonian expression, 'my little
lugnut.'

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute