[lit-ideas] Re: A word from a founder...(Ubi sunt qui ante nos fuerunt?)

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 14:31:59 -0800 (PST)

 Mike Chase, Alex Trifan and Robert Paul were among the contributors who made a
strong impression on me when I joined the Phil-Lit. Mike Chase was broadly
educated and witty, and the other two were very sharp philosophically. Judy
Evans, too, was very smart, although she was more into politics than
philosophy. I had pretty strong backgrounds in literature and literary
criticism when I joined the list, but not so much in philosophy, and the
discussion then was mostly on philosophical and occasionally political topics.
(Well, I don't think that we have ever discussed literature so much, even
though we have dutifully kept it in the name.) I sometimes felt that my
philosophical knowledge was inadequate, and I started reading more philosophy
after I joined, which didn't help my graduate studies in literature much, but
that's collateral damage... Still, it seems that even now I am sometimes
referred to Wikipedia to educate myself philosophically. After the
 millennium, the discussion turned more to politics and so came my
bare-knuckles clash with David Myers over Zionism, and to some extent (although
it never got quite as bad) with Lawrence Helm over Islamism. I suppose that
these debates may have contributed to the demise of Phil-Lit, even though it
had already been pretty shaken by the affair of D'Amatto threatened lawsuit.

Well, some rambling impressions.

O.K.

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:53 PM, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Harrison Solo (stage name), Nancy Strickland, George OBrien, David Savory,
Allison Parker, Larry Kramer, Anthony D'Amato, Didier Agid, Mirembe Nantongo...

I don't think Erin Holder is still on the list but she may be.

As soon as I send this I'll think of more.

Robert Paul