[lit-ideas] Re: A timely warning

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 11:15:01 +0900

Sorry. Wasn't a Japanese version at all. Held at the Yokohama Country &
Athletic Club it was a mainly gaijin (foreigner) event. Much reduced in
scale from previous years when a large contingent of Scottish engineers
working as ship surveyors for Lloyd's Register supported much grander
events. This was basically a nice meal, with the haggis piped in, addresses
to the lassies and lads, and a quiz. No celigh dancing, alas.

John

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:09 AM, David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2014, at 11:08 PM, cblists@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > One feature of the BBC's 'running order' for a Burns Night supper which
> I particularly like is
> >
> > "Lost Burns manuscripts
> > Some Burns Night suppers include a lost manuscript reading,
> > where a participant with literary aspirations recites from a
> > fictitious long-lost musing of the great man on a new subject."
> >
> > Perhaps I can persuade lit-ideas list members to offer samples of such
> 'lost manuscripts' on future anniversaries of prominent events in
> literature and philosophy.
> >
> No inspiration has yet come my way.
>
> How did everyone enjoy Burns night?  I'm intrigued by the thought of a
> Japanese version.
>
> David Ritchie,
> digesting the recently-discovered fact that the last of the Mitford
> sisters owns Chatsworth
> Portland, Oregon

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN