[lit-ideas] Re: A thought for the coming year

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 10:22:25 -0800

On Jan 3, 2014, at 9:59 AM, Walter C. Okshevsky wrote:

> (Lucky for him he's buried in England.  The Germans permit you only 50 years
> of
> "resting in eternal peace" before they dig you up and out to make room for the
> others. It's a small country with a large population.

That's the first time I've heard Germany described as a small country; this
must be a Russian or Canadian view of things.  I hope you're not suggesting the
Germans need Todesraum.

In Singapore you only get fifteen years before they dig you up again.  Here's
the reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Former_cemeteries_in_Singapore

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon,
with cemeteries on several hilltops still