[lit-ideas] Re: A serious inquiry

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:49:27 -0400

Omar Kusturica wrote:

"You may have misunderstood my inquiry"

No, I don't think so.  You are sympathetic to Al Qaeda, Hezbollah,
Hamas, those arrested today in Britain, etc.  You are well-versed in the
rhetoric of Western liberals.  You use that rhetoric as a weapon for
your own ends, that is the goals you share with the above groups.  Your
response to Paul was not sincere but intended to play on the liberal
sympathies of many on this list.  That is, you insist on civility from
those who value civility in order to silence a critic, while dismissing
the need to be civil.  While playing on the liberal sympathies of many
on this list, you don't share them.  Instead, you prefer the only
possible response to an evil that pervades the world, violence.  You
hate the U.S., you hate the West, you hate Israel.  In the end, there
must be a violence that destroys all of these.

Did I miss anything?  I recognize the symptoms from people I know.  They
are intelligent, educated Muslims infected by a hatred of everything
Western and Israel.  By no means is this true of all the Muslims I know,
and in fact they are a minority.  But you are a familiar type and I
don't think I have misunderstood.  In fact, I would be delighted to be
shown to be wrong and happy to apologize.

Omar concludes:

"Seeing your reaction, I am happy to go on in my own style. You'd better
take run and take cover now, Phil."

Amusing.  No, I think it is your kind who run for cover.  There will
always be Islamic extremists but they will always be marginal, relying
on lies and deceptions.  As you do.

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON