[lit-ideas] Re: A question for an anthropologist of Western religions

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 03:15:35 -0800

OTOH, in a review of /Flannery: A Life of Flannery O'Connor, /by Brad Gooch (in the April 9, 2009 edition of the NYROB) we find (the review is by Joyce Carol Oates) "How ironic that during their turbulent highly publicized lifetimes McCullers and Capote were far more famous than Flannery O'Connor, of whose invalided private life little was known, or might be said to be worth while knowing; as O'Connor observed to a friend, 'As for biographies, there won't be any biographies of me because, for only one reason, lives spent between the house and the chicken yard do not make exciting copy.'"

Lawrence

On 2/1/2016 7:47 PM, david ritchie wrote:

Marco Rubio just thanked, “an all-powerful and mighty god.”  If “all-powerful”
is what the god is, why do we need “mighty”?

I bet Speranza knows.

David Ritchie,
Portland,