[lit-ideas] Re: A political thought (continued)

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:39:30 +0900

On 2004/04/30, at 12:16, Omar Kusturica wrote:

> How about withdrawing instead ?

A good question. And an answer that Aron himself might be advocating,
were he alive today.

But the moral question is how to manage a withdrawal that does not
leave a worse situation than the won before the war started--from the
point of view of the Iraqis left stuck with the mess we Americans and
Brits, etc., have created.

The global realpolitik issues, oil and whether the Middle East can be
left to sort itself out without becoming a perennial source of
terrorists in a world where ugly, ugly weapons are all too easy to come
by....

The continuing problem, to me, is whether any or all of the parties
involved in this mess can get beyond the passionate simple-mindedness
that motivates violence, whether delivered by Abrams tanks and Cobra
gunships or by suicide bombers and hijackers who fly airplanes into
buildings.

While deeply pessimistic, I remain committed to the notion that I, at
least, must do what I can to understand and do my bit to work for a
saner, if only marginally saner, world.

John L. McCreery
International Vice Chair, Democrats Abroad

Tel 81-45-314-9324
Email mccreery@xxxxxxx