[lit-ideas] Re: A "philosopher" has died

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:46:29 -0500

Of the small handful of philosophers I've managed to read first hand, Rorty is
my favorite.  I find greater kinship with his thought than any other I know.  I
understand what he's saying, but I confess I like reading Heidegger the most.
I have no idea if I understand a single word he writes in the way he intended
it to be taken, but so what? it's so gobbledy-gooky that I can turn it into
poetry without effort -- especially the essays "The Origin of the Work of Art",
"What Are Poets For?", "Building Dwelling Thinking", "...Poetrically Man
Dwells" --  "Remembrance Of the Poet", Holderlin And the Essense Of Poetry and
"What Is Metaphysics".  I'm willing to bet that an explication of any one of
those essays by me would be met with consternation by any professional
philosopher.  But so what?  I enjoy making of them what I want.  Rorty on the
otherhand makes sense to me and thus limits his usage to me.

Mike Geary
Memphis