[lit-ideas] Re: A+ and why they don't have it in Eton

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:57:52 EDT

J. Evans uses 'absurd' hyperbolically:

"In A Levels here now though it's possible
and not abnormal to get 100 for a Shakespeare
paper, which strikes me as absurd."

This in reply to D. Ritchie who did gave 3 A+s, but notes:

"To get an A you had to score between ninety and
a hundred.  An A+ meant getting more than a
hundred...out of a hundred.  (There are "bonus
questions," and points for this, that and the other thing.)"

It was my understanding that

A: ranges from 90 to 98.
A+ then is 98-100.

But I do get the point about the 'extra' or 'bonus'. That would mean 'just
in case you do not do well in coming examinations". So that if one gets an
A+,  and then the person gets an A-, the final thing may be an A (plain).

I should revise this. There should be online sources where they indicate
that A+ just means 98-99. Rather than the IMPOSSIBLE (unless taken as
'future'  credit) of more than 100 over 100.

Etc.

-------

Speranza--Bordighera