[lit-ideas] Re: A+ and why they don't have it in Eton

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 08:47:36 -0700

On Aug 31, 2010, at 11:03 PM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

Apparently, in America, "A" is 98. Thus, A+ is 100.

This does NOT make logic. To me, A is 100. And A+ is more than 100.

I remember in England the top mark usually being between seventy and eighty. If it wasn't, the test was said to be "too easy," with a risk of swollen heads. In my daughters' high school, seventy was dreadful. To get an A you had to score between ninety and a hundred. An A+ meant getting more than a hundred...out of a hundred. (There are "bonus questions," and points for this, that and the other thing.)

The same is true of a grade point average in this fine country. It too can be more than perfect.

I am reminded of the dean who said no one should get an average score on our final exercise because that would mean we were not graduating above average students.

I have awarded three A+s in twenty (mumble) years. They were well- deserved.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon