[lit-ideas] Re: A Zlywchlvel By Any Other Name

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:29:03 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/2009 7:11:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Je ne parle pas Englais.  Je ne parle jamais "sweet".

Jean-Michel du Geary

----

Well, but can a rose _smell_ sweet? To me it can only _taste_  'sweet'.

If you _smell_ sweet, you are using it 'metaphorically'. These type of
sense-variation phenomena fascinated Grice. Did you hear that there was a
rabbit
recently born with two noses. Are we right in calling the things 'nose'?

----

So my point was Eco. His novel, "Il nome della rosa", Latin: Nomen Rosae. A
topic of universalia, etc.

Shakespeare got it right:

     A rose by any other name would smell so  sweet.

But that's an English expression. If we replace it with Japanese (to please
McCreery) we have:

     A [INSERT-JAPANESE-FOR-ROSE] would smell so  [INSERT-JAPANESE-FOR-SWEET].

Protocol experiment:

Have a Japanese smell it, and describe the aroma:

    (i) Wow, it's sweet.
    (ii) Puajj! It's bitter
    (iii) It's bitter sweet
    (iv) other.
    (v) Can I taste it? I cannot decide on the basis of a  _smell_ only?

How do you say "fart" in Hungarian?

Cheers,

JL

steps!