[lit-ideas] Re: A Wittgensteinian decision or a Popn one?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:38:48 -0330

Interestingly, Witters had two different words in his lexicon for "use." So the
saying "the meaning is its use" has at least 2 possible meanings depending upon
which word for "use" is used. "Gebrauchen" is one, but I no longer recall the
other German word. (Not "Verbrauchen" as in "to use up.") Nor can I recall the
distinction in meaning between them. I do recall, however, that once upon a
time I thought there was a real difference and point to the linguistic
distinction. The secondary lit made much hay about it - including, I think, the
great Baker and Hacker texts.

Walter O
MUN