[lit-ideas] Re: A Whiter Shade of Pale...the shadow of our politics

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 11:18:04 -0400

Mike: "Dogmatic liberals" isn't that a contradiction in terms or at least oxymoronic?

Eric: To the true spirit of liberalism, yes. As practiced, definitely not.

Mike: Maybe you need new friends.

Eric: I always try to develop new friendships, even though it gets harder with age. How about you? Do you find that true?

Mike: Always remember, dear Eric, that the true joy of partisanship is in the permission to hate. If you haven't hated lately, perhaps you've forgotten that pleasure. Go out there and hate those bastards. Come alive. Ask anyone who's chosen sides. Hate lifts you above all others.

Eric: That's the notion Henry Adams disdained in the 19th century. He said, "Politics in America is the art of organizing hate," or something close to that. Just can't do it. I don't hate Obama or Biden or McCain or Palin.

My hate is reserved for al-Qaeda, human slavers, barbarian people of that ilk. Of course when I express that type of hate, you, Mike, always get on my case. And you may be right. My hate doesn't hurt them, it only encumbers me. Instead, I have given myself permission to disconnect TV and only watch videos.

It's an odd media vacuum, this TV-lessness. Perhaps the kind of anthropological disconnect John might enjoy. Hate-meter is reading very low these days.