[lit-ideas] A Whiter Shade of Pale

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 23:21:41 -0500

My son and I were talking about the Republican convention.  He said that he'd
read somewhere that 58 percent of whites in America vote Republican.  It
depressed him greatly.  I told him to get over it.  Before he dies of old age
whites will be a minority riding at the back of the bus.  That cheered him, but
he kept going on about all the corpulent white men at the convention who all
looked clone-like.  He's young -- well, 32 -- but that's young when it comes to
tolerating your enemies.

He was dismissive of Sarah Palin.  I told him that I think she has a great
career ahead of her as an inspirational speaker.  America needs people who can
rouse insouciant employees to give their all to management programs that co-opt
their grievances.

If you were raised in a political family, you absolutely love all this high
drama.  The fate of the universe depends on it.  Politics is the purest of
religions.  "Wherever two or more of you are gathered together, there is
politics."  Jesus said that.  It's writ down somewhere.  I can't remember
where.  God, of course, has spoken to most of us, so we know how to vote --
there's no flirting with 'independent' apostasy.

Mike Geary
Memphis