[lit-ideas] Re: A Ticklish Question

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:52:48 -0800

On Dec 24, 2005, at 1:21 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

Here's something that occurred to me today.

Why are our MOST ticklish areas on parts of our body where arteries are exposed?

Neck, underarms, belly, inner thighs ... all the most common ticklish spots are areas where important arteries are close to the surface. Hence ticklish, perhaps as a form of primitive self- protection.

I'll take my prize now, please.

Knight number one: Where art thou ticklish?
Knight number two: Not telling.
Knight number one: Then I shall have to try thee with my feather duster...(tickle, tickle...)
Knight number two: Egad, thou hast found me out.
Knight number one: Too right, mate. Follows duster thrust with same from Lochaber axe.
Knight number two (dying): Would that my defense mechanism were less primitive. No doubt a thousand generations will solve the problem. Whenever we get tickled, a great scorpion tail will come up and wallop our aggressor. Or maybe tickling will become a mating behavior. I wish I could live to see the outcome but no, it's the compost heap for me.

David Ritchie
wishing everyone a Merry Everything in
Portland, Oregon