[lit-ideas] Re: A Spirit of Intellectualism

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:24:10 +0100

If I can generalise, there are two types of Lawrentian post. The first seeks to
add to what Lawrence understands about fundamentlaist Islamic Ideology. The
second seeks to add to what Lawrence understands about the Leftist position he
has rejected. Typically then there are two types of replies. The first points
out that there are additional motivating factors other than ideology. The
second reacts to Lawrence's criticisms of the left.

Counter arguments against those who reply to these Lawrentian posts are often
restricted to the common complaint that the responder hasn't read as much as
Lawrence and is therefore in no position to reply.

Which of course begs the question: Why bother?

Simon
Bothering to bother