[lit-ideas] Re: A Sign of the Times

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:18:37 -0800

Was watching soccer on the computer. Heard a reference to a player, who was new to me, Aquilani. Looked him up on Wikipedia and found that the article referred to the game I was watching, one that had been played only hours earlier. Now the present can become the written, digital past, with some kind of quasi-official encyclopedic status, within minutes of its having happened. Seconds even?

"Get in while the going is good," is my advice.

David Ritchie,
not yet historic, but looking rather ragged around the jowls, in
Portland, Oregon