[lit-ideas] Re: A Service Profession

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:03:50 -0230

Perhaps Mike would wish to apprise us as to why he believes that this vast
quantitative multitude and qualitative array of questions all count as
"philosophical." I have no doubt that the questions identified are of interest
to him, but he as well avers that they are all philosophical questions .....
and thus I balk. For surely there is no analytic relation between questions of
interest to Mike and questions justifibaly deemed "philosophical". We all know
that Mike is a man of many interests - not all of which are strictly
philosophical. (He does write poetry, after all.)

Imagine we were all free to define any question we raised as being a
"philosophical" question. Would the discipline of philosophy thereby be
enhanced or would it be debilitated?

Now ask the same question about cellular biology. Is there a difference here?

Having just met 36 enthusiastic students, eager to engage in philosophical
questions about teaching, learning, and education.

Walter O
MUN

(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100122638x1222405996x1201457362/aol?redir=http://www.getpeek.com/aol)