[lit-ideas] Re: A Service Profession

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:11:53 -0500

Philosophical questions that interest me: (1) The obvious one, of course: why is there anything rather than nothing? (2) What does "is" mean? That is, is it possible to define existence? I'm thinking no. (3) Does anything have meaning in and of itself, that is, outside the meaning we ascribe to it? How could we know that? (4) Doth God exact day labor, light denied? That is to say, is there any moral concept that is not culturally contingent? How can we know that? (5) Is a thought a thing? Does it have existence? That is to say, is intentionality just another form of masturbation? (6) Where do new ideas come from? Heidegger seems (it seems to me) to suggest they develop out of a misunderstanding of words / concepts -- is creativity then a child of ignorance? (7) Belief in a god is shared by something like 90% of the human race. Why? And why is it that the extremist religious fanatics are almost always men? (I say it's fear of women -- is religion then but a male bulwark against their own cupidity? Surely it is.) (8) Was Michael Jackson a real human being or a product of Pixar? I can't decide -- his life was so screwed-up that it had to be fiction, either that or it had to be true. I'm glad I wasn't Michael Jackson. He must have gone thru hell many, many times in his life. But watching him perform was equivalent to what philosophy means to me. See if you can decipher what that means. Let me know. I need to know.

Mike Geary
Memphis, Tennessee,
but intentionalitaly
still in the saddle