[lit-ideas] Re: A Service Profession

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 03:29:38 -0400

>>Our knowledge of ourselves produces a different self, one not covered by that knowledge.

Two birds sit on one tree limb etc. Sounds like one of the the Upanishads to me, though you doubtless intend a less dogmatic purpose. More like Odysseus wrestling Proteus or famously as T. S. Eliot does in "East Coker"

_____

So here I am, in the middle way, having had twenty years-
Twenty years largely wasted, the years of l'entre deux guerres-
Trying to use words, and every attempt
Is a wholy new start, and a different kind of failure
Because one has only learnt to get the better of words
For the thing one no longer has to say, or the way in which
One is no longer disposed to say it.

_____