[lit-ideas] A Service Profession

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:41:44 EDT

In a message dated 6/26/2009 3:15:26 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Are you or is Walter  saying that philosophy is not a service profession?
If
so, then what  the hell good is it?  Must you teach philosophy to justify
your  philosopherness?

----

I don't know -- and the sad of this is that as per today, there is no OED
entry for 'service profession'. So keep in mind _mailto:oed3@xxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:oed3@xxxxxxxxx)

I think it's an 'Americanism', 'service profession'?

I don't find a good definition anywhere.

S. Ward, who plays cricket, knows about the gents and the players and  all
that. What's wrong with 'service profession' is _both_ 'service' *and*
'profession'. Recall "A room with a view?"

EMERSON (petit bourgeois): And, what, Sir Cecil [Vyse] is _your_
profession?
VYSE: Good heavens -- I have _no_ profession.

I always loved that phrase!

Philosophers are not the only ones who are no 'service profession' --

Cheers,

JL

**************Stay connected and tighten your budget with a great mobile
device for under $20. Take a Peek!