[lit-ideas] Re: A Right-Wing Neocon Gay Liberal

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:05:49 -0000

He is a gay Liberal who moved to Europe to get away from Right Wing Christian
Fundamentalists.

I know.  I quote:

 Positing that negative stereotypes of homosexuals are the result of both right
- wing propaganda and the high visibility of "radical gay activists," Bawer, a
self-proclaimed spokesperson for the "silent majority of gays," attempts to
absolve "mainstream gays" of responsibility by criticizing "subculture-oriented
gays," including but not limited to Donna Minkowitz, Paul Monette, Edmund
White, members of ACTUP, and those involved in Gay Pride parades. This
heartfelt if misguided meditation cum manifesto is provocative, but the
author's self-righteous generalizations and misrepresentation of the ethnic,
socio economic, and geographic diversity of American lesbians and gays, as well
as the lack of either an index or citations for the many sources, undermine the
divisive diatribe.

"those involved in Gay Pride parades"!  Our RAF has had a float in the Gay
Pride March for two years now, this last year, the Army also had a float and a
recruiting team.

LH> He was told by European friends that there was no Right-
LH>Wing-Religious problem in Europe.  He discovered that wasn't true:

indeed it is not true and almost never has been.  E.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Fran%C3%A7aise

oh but of course you meant Muslims....

Judy Evans, cardiff