[lit-ideas] Re: A Revolution in the USA?

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:13:39 -0400

Helen jests: first day of another semester teaching our children to hate themselves while demanding tolerance for other societies (no matter how repulsive) and writing skills

The purpose of war is to defeat the enemy's will to fight for their cause. There are many ways to accomplish this goal.

The present discussion seems to have difficulty distinguishing criticism which serves the enemy ("We hate ourselves and have no reason to fight for our existence.") from criticism that serves our side by improving our geopolitical strategy or our nation ("We can do things better by...").

Sometimes it's not immediately clear which is which. Sometimes a writer's use of adjectives gives away the show at once. Clearly a tolerant attitude toward real criticism--but not toward pathological dissent--offers a society more options without undermining its will to fight for its existence.