[lit-ideas] Re: A Revolution in the USA?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:23:37 -0400

Or, rage and more than a little sadness that needs a bogey man to attach to
and ride on.  Can't have a bogey man unless one has nice, simple, black and
white answers in a color filled world.  This ties into John Dean's
Conservatives Without a Conscience, his book on the authoritarian
personality and its predominance in the administration today.  I didn't
read the book but I did hear him speak on it.  The authoritarian
personality is (my words) someone who has a control problem.  Someone who
has a control problem is someone who didn't have much control in childhood,
in other words, depression, alcoholism ...  Basically, it's really hard to
think when you're hurting.  All you want to do is hit somebody.  Or
manic/depression as with Lyndon Johnson.  At least Johnson had something of
a split personality.  He killed 3 million non-entities over there but at
least he tried to improve over here with social legislation.  Today they
bomb the non-entities over there and wage war on their own country, their
own middle class.

> Andy: In fact, your opinions are wishful thinking and
> nothing more.  But, since we're wishfully thinking, what
> would you have done if you were president of the U.S. when
> the Shah was being deposed?
>
> Eric: Bad question. Better to ask what Carter did that led
> to the Shah being deposed. That is, after all, the heart of
> the matter and the topic of the post.
>
> You can look that up yourself. It would be good for you.

What Carter did that led to Shah being deposed?  You mean, he didn't have
enough control over Iran?  In other words, you're saying Iran was a colony
of the U.S.?  No wonder they hate us and want the bomb to keep us out.  No
wonder you like the NR.  No facts, lots of emotion, lots of bogey men, lots
of simple answers.