[lit-ideas] Re: A Rant You Can Embellish

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 15:13:46 -0500

Standards?  What?  Where?  Whaa??

Signs on fast-food drive-through windows indicating braille is available.

"Honk for ______ (fill in the blank)" bumper stickers

Doors one passes through to enter or exit a building which read "Do not
enter" on the inside of the door, as one would proceed to exit the
building -- this means what?  do not enter the building (remember, you're
trying to leave...)?  do not enter the doorway?  do not go through the door
to leave the building, in effect do not exit?

Caution:  Falling rocks

Buzzwords

AUTOMATED VOICE MENUS ANSWERING PHONE CALLS (I cannot emphasize this one
enough)

"Please be advised that your wait time is more than 3 minutes"

Calling a series of majiscule alphabetics an acronym just because it's a
series of majiscule alphabetics.

Trying to evaluate and compare cell phone plans and the nearly infinite
combination of telecommunication setups & devices (smart phones, cell
phones, pda's, dsl lines, broadband, laptops, skype-like vehicles, fax
vehicles, printers, copy machines, scanners, all in one devices (actually
"all in one devices is a pet peeve in and of itself), AARGHHHH

I  didn't fully appreciate how many pet peeves I apparently have.  No wonder
I'm cranky.

Julie Krueger
semi-enlightened (are pet peeves a sign of a character flaw?)