[lit-ideas] Re: A Proper Officer

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:01:11 -0700

For anyone with an interest in attitudes to regional British accents over
the last twenty five years--Judy, for example-- here's an excerpt from
today's "Scotsman" article about the Iranian Embassy Siege, which began on
April 30, 1980.  Fairweather was a senior officer in the SAS:

All the troops were there by early evening, ready to put their years of
training to deadly effect. Only then did Fairweather receive a call from an
official in the Cabinet Office with orders to move. "We=B9re already there,"
he told them with some satisfaction.
"He asked for the commanding officer, which, technically, was myself as Mik=
Rose had gone off ahead. But he didn=B9t believe me because of my strong
Scottish accent. He demanded, =8CFetch me a proper officer.=B9

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon