[lit-ideas] Re: A Project to Help Prevent Nuclear Terrorism

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 23:55:24 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

That's interesting in light of Cheney's 1% doctrine, i.e., even if there is a
1% probability of an event happening, namely a nuclear attack, it has to be
treated as though it's a 100% probability.  That became a self fulfilling
prophecy with the invasion of Iraq.  Industry calls the shots and tells
government what to do.  The latest emphasis on nuclear energy is all lobbyist
driven and will be funded by government, which is to say, by taxpayers.  We can
have nuclear energy, spearheaded by a French firm, but we turn around and tell
Iran they can't?  Does that make sense?

I have this vague recollection from the movie Reds that John Reed talks about
WWI as being a way to protect J.P. Morgan's investments.  Maybe there is
something more at stake than Iran getting nuclear energy?  Clearly bullying is
in the mix, but corporate interests made a lot of money in Iraq, and a lot of
money from the treasury simply disappeared.  So who's going to profit from
another war, and why are we lukewarm to chasing down the nuclear black market?

The movie Lord of War (I didn't see it) is about the huge worldwide arms trade,
and the U.S. is the largest arms exporter.  In a Keynesian military based
economy, war along with exporting arms are perfectly natural.  We think back
with fondness on WWII, and Vietnam was essentially without consequences.
Nothing happened to us or to them after we pulled out, and who cares about 3
million of them anyway.  The Vietnamese are never even mentioned, as the Iraqis
are usually not mentioned by mainstream outlets, but, 3,000 Americans boys were
killed is constantly mentioned.  Logically, if anybody cared about the American
boys they wouldn't be in Iraq, so clearly it's all rhetoric.  In WWI it was
J.P. Morgan, today it's ... Haliburton? ExxonMobil?  ...?  Unfortunately Iraq
turned into such a turning point for this country.  Industry just doesn't set
good foreign policy, among other policy.