[lit-ideas] Re: A Project to Help Prevent Nuclear Terrorism

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:50:34 +0900

On 1/27/07, Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One wonders why our representatives need to be written to.  Don't they know
what's going on?  What's your guess why they're doing nothing at all?  Same
reason I guess that nobody moved a muscle about Iraq for years.  They live on a
different planet than we do, a planet loaded with lobby money and denial,
powerful combination.  It's amazing how people have to be prompted to do the
darnedest things, when they're not acting like lemmings that is.  I wonder if
these meetings will be more productive than Al Gore's project.  Thousands of
people, imagine that.

It is, perhaps, worth noting that the Bush administration and the
formerly Republican Congress steadfastly refused to fund programs to
ensure the safe disposal and safeguarding of nuclear material left
pretty much lying around in the former Soviet Union. Ditto for
screening containers shipped to the USA for the transport of nuclear
or other nasty devices.

The former would have opened the door to those who might want to
suggest the inspection and securing of nuclear material in the United
States. The latter would have inconvenienced large corporate
interests.

(Whoops! Opening the door for politics again. Time to get back to
poetry, perhaps a bit of philosophy.)

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN