[lit-ideas] A Private Prison

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:37:43 EDT

Grice and Geary on 'seem'

In a message dated 8/14/2010 12:47:16 P.M., jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx
writes:

The idea  of privatizing prisons and armies is appalling to me.  These seem
to me  to be patently governmental functions.

Mike Geary

-----

Consider:

i. These seem to me to be patently governmental functions.
ii. These seem to me to be real.

Singular rather than plural subject:

iii. It seems to me to be blue.

----

"These seem to me to be patently governmental functions".

----

To use a variable, phi.

"x seems to be phi"
"it seems to me that x is patently phi"

----

Grice's question:

"how can something SEEM patently?"

Geary's answer:

"The idea of privatizing prisons and armies is appalling to me.  These
seem to me to be patently governmental functions."

--- "seem patently?"

"Yes. They ARE patently governmental functions".

"It seems to you".

"Yes, it seems to me that they are patently governmental functions".

Cfr. Grice:

"The prefacing of an utterance with, "seem" usually indicates what I shall
refer to as the 'doubt-or-denial' implicature".

Speranza -- Bordighera

-----

------------- What kind of food do they serve in a 'private'  prison?