[lit-ideas] Re: A Photo Worth Every Penny

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:18:09 -0400

I spent way too much time reading the comments after this article. Elizabeth is still Canada's queen and I've long thought it was bunk -- both the cost and the adulation (She actually visited our campus once..I think...I was out of town.) Among the comments, this struck me particularly....good words in a good row can be so persuasive, eh?

In the words of a former Scots Prime Minister 'The Queen’s appearances abroad do more in a day to gain goodwill for Britain than all the politicians and diplomats lumped together could achieve in years.'
Sir Alec Douglas-Home (Prime Minister 1963-64).

And in the words of two Irishmen, from different sides of the border:

'If constitutional monarchy were to come to an end in Britain, parliamentary democracy would probably not survive it. It is, after all, through the monarchy that parliamentary control over the armed forces is mediated and maintained.'
Conor Cruise O’Brien, The Independent, 25th June 1993.

'Monarchy can easily be debunked, but watch the faces, mark well the debunkers. These are the men whose taproot in Eden has been cut: whom no rumour of the polyphony, the dance, can reach - men to whom pebbles laid in a row are more beautiful than an arch. Yet even if they desire mere equality they cannot reach it. Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes or film stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison.'
C S Lewis.

David Ritchie wrote:

The Royals cost 62 p per year. I think they need a charitable foundation. Send all contributions to the Royal Society for Prevention of Insolvency to Royals (RSPIR), 37 Millionquid Lane, Darling-on-Suite Speah Castle, Hunts, ER2 UR2, U.K.

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=946582006

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon