[lit-ideas] Re: A Note in General

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 08:03:57 +0200
Le 17 mai 05, =E0 21:25, Erin Holder a =E9crit :

> Today was my first class of ancient Greek.  I give it a week before I=20=

> forget my
> three years worth of German.  Either way, ancient Greek rocks.

M.C. Yes, it does.

> Apparently the
> lengthy epics could be orally composed on the spot because all the=20
> names and
> feasts, e.g. were just formulaic expressions the recitation of which=20=

> provided
> enough time to compose in one's head in the meantime the new lines to=20=

> come.  I
> had no idea.

M.C. That's the theory, anyhow, as devised by Milman Parry. But he=20
thought it up by observing contemporary Yugoslav folksingers. But if=20
you've had the occasion to compare Yugoslav folk-songs, catchy as they=20=

can be, with Homer, you have to wonder whether Parry knew what the heck=20=

he was talking about.

        Best, Mike.

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)