[lit-ideas] Re: A Grecian Peculiarity

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 17:08:56 +0100

JL>I DON'T KNOW of _any_ *French* expression that does *not* derive
> (in its grammar) from _Latin_ (This was due to the adoption of that
>Classical Language by the Franks -- albeit in a 'vulgar' state of development.

The syntax of 'Written Latin' is though fairly remarkable (not only, I'd say,
to a Brit.); so much so that my 'O Level' Latin teacher gave us a a kind of
'painting by numbers' method of writing sentences;
(Thank goodness, she disappeared when I began 'A Level', replaced by someone
who'd taught at a public school -- !! -- and could convey and transmit her love
of
the language.)  It isn't only word order, it's oratio obliqua.

I did read that spoken Latin was different....

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK