[lit-ideas] Re: A Genuinely Useful Thought

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:37:51 EST

<<We  shouldn’t let their ignorance stampede us, >>
"Their" ignorance of what,  specifically?
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: A Genuinely
Useful Thought  Date: 1/9/2007 12:47:00 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

Andreas,
You keep getting me mixed up with  the Bush administration.  I see our goal
as combating Militant Islam.   Baathism, especially Saddam’s variation was a
variety of it is included.   The Clinton appointee Kenneth Pollack in his,  The
Threatening Storm, the Case of Invading  Iraq lists a number of  reasons for
fighting against Saddam’s army.  We did defeat his army.   There should be no
doubt about that.  So what beyond that is necessary in  the war against
Militant Islam insofar as that subset of the war we call  Iraq is concerned?
Is it
utterly necessary that we leave a viable successful government in  Iraq after
we leave?  I walked  downstairs to get some coffee a bit ago and Susan had on
Fox News’ Hannity and  Colmes.  Hannity was saying how horrible it would be
if
we didn’t achieve  “total victory.”  I waited to hear him explain what
that
was, but he  didn’t.  I was surprised by the look of anguish on his face as
he
said it,  but his guest Dick Morris then continued on with something else and
I went back  upstairs.  I think there is some truth in the “if you broke it
you own it”  dictum.  We should certainly do our best to assist Iraq in
building  a defense force.  We should help them get their army and police up
and
running, but after that I think we ought to get out.  Every nation in the
Middle
East has insurgents, or at least a potent Islamist anti-government  presence
of some sort, and none of those nations are begging for  America’s aid.  When
we got  there and toppled Saddam, a high percentage of Iraqis were thankful
for what we  did, but time has passed and a majority thinks they can handle the
insurgents  all by themselves.  They want us to go home.  We shouldn’t let
their  ignorance stampede us, but there is no reason for our hanging on there
any
 longer than necessary.  What is “Total Victory”?  You’ll have to ask
someone else.
Lawrence