[lit-ideas] Re: A Finkish Implicature

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:32:10 -0230

Quoting Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx:

> In a message dated 4/29/2010 11:46:46  A.M., wokshevs@xxxxxx writes:
> Surely virginity is a state, not a disposition.  (Though not a state of
> mind,
> either.) The tendency to engage in behaviors and  make decisions that
> promote
> virginity, on the other hand, would legitimately  be classed as a
> disposition.
>

> "NOT to engage"
>
> the decision "NOT TO ENGAGE" in behaviours that
> dismote virginity seems to me more relevant at this point.

WO: I would have thought that the class of all behaviors and judgements
promoting virginity is materially equivalent to the class of all behaviors and
judgements "dismoting" virginity. (Btw: I would never accept "dismoting" as a
legitimate English word in Scrabble.)

Zum beispiel:

The class of all behaviors and judgements promoting Montreal's victory over
Washington - yes, there is a god - is equivalent to the class of abstinence
from all behaviors and judgements dysfunctional to Montreal's victory.

(Actually, "victory" is a huge understatement, perhaps even a category mistake.
Only divine intervention can explain this phenomenon. Pittsburgh in 4 (maybe
5)

In connotative and denotative sincerity,

Walter O
Guy Lafleur Professor of Sports Metaphysics
Department of Philosophy, Kinetics and Leisure Studies
Universite de Bague des Menteurs, QC