[lit-ideas] A Field-Trip (with Lit-Ideas)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 08:23:37 EST

In a message dated 3/4/2009 7:22:58 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

[FIRST DAY OF FIELD-TRIP]

Admiral Harris, now buried in the grave yard outside St
Mary's Church  Walkhampton, was in charge of a fleet patrolling the waters
off South  Africa. He, along with a young upstart, used naval guns,
transported across  land, to relieve the siege of Ladysmith. Subsequently,
the episode was  celebrated in the 'Field Gun Runs'.

---

Well, it was fascinating. It would be good if other listers play the
McCreery field-trip game.

[SECOND-DAY OF FIELD TRIP]

I would mention the invasion of the Brits to Buenos Aires (failed): in 1806
and 1807. They were led by Beresford and Whitelock. They landed on Puerto
Barragan (20 miles from where I was born), all in their cute redcoats, and
marched to the Centre of Buenos Aires. The locals organised themselves in
'militiae' and the 're-conquest' of the city is today celebrated in the
so-called
Calle "Reconquista". Even the original Union Jack, taken from them, is
displayed
in the Church 5 blocks from where I live, "Iglesia de la Recoleta".

Keep counting.

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
    Buenos Aires, Argentina