[lit-ideas] Re: A Day At The Beach

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 15:15:26 -0500

I really do wish I had studied Philosophy, but I'm glad I didn't. I prefer
thinking whatever the hell I want to.

If I could, I would think as we should. But it's a lot easier and more
fun to make it all up as I go along. My life is like a lively song, one
I sing all day long, but I'm so tone deaf people think I've got it all
wrong and ask me please, to move on.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 10:10 PM, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

JL, caught up in an exaltation of distinctions, writes

"This would irritate Witters, who as a behaviourist, was always asking for
'manifestations', but he would focus on the manifested behaviour of your
friend, not God. On the other hand, Saint-Exupery said what was essential
is 'invisible to the eyes'. His editor found 'to the eyes' otiose but
let it be."

***

Wittgenstein himself, in the *Investigations*, answers an unnamed
interlocutor, who says (§107), 'Aren't you nevertheless a behaviourist in
disguise? Aren't you nevertheless basically saying that everything except
human behaviour is a fiction?' —LW: 'If I speak of a fiction here, then it
is of a grammatical fiction.'

Robert Paul