[lit-ideas] A Day At The Beach

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 05:52:50 +0000

Thank you for the reminder. Two points, my (3rd ed) PI gives for 107

107. The more narrowly we examine actual language, the sharper becomes the
conflict between it and our requirement. (For the crystalline purity of logic
was, of course, not a result of investigation: it was a requirement.) The
conflict becomes intolerable; the requirement is now in danger of becoming
empty.—We have got on to slippery ice where there is no friction and so in a
certain sense the conditions are ideal, but also, just because of that, we are
unable to walk

Hence I am at a loss at what the textual basis is this on.

Perhaps WITH A A MORE INTERESTING QUESTION, WHAT IS A GRAMMATICAL FICTION? IS
Bloom in Joyce a grammatical fiction? Or what exactly is the fiction of
behaviorism?

Best to r