[lit-ideas] 95 year old man tased and beanbagged for not taking his medication

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas " <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 12:51:45 -0700

Family members are questioning the death of a 95-year-old WWII U.S. Air
Corps sergeant who killed by cops at an assisted living center last month
after resisting medical treatment.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/05/95-year-old-vet-dead-after-resist
ing-medical-treatment-tased-and-shot-with-bean-bags-by-cops/

I read several articles about this incident.  The one above is typical.
Apparently he didn't want to take his medication and when the nursing staff
insisted he got belligerent.  The police were called and then a swat team
which tased and then shot him with a beanbag (it was the beanbag injury that
killed him)   SWAT said he had a knife, but neither the staff nor anyone not
on the swat team saw a knife.

This guy needed a walker to get around and was seated in a chair when he was
tased and beanbagged.    I'll be 79 this year and suspect I could have taken
a steak knife (if he had one) away from the old man, but maybe they were
concerned about the more serious problem of his being unwilling to take his
medication.  What is the penalty for that anyway?  I forget.

Lawrence