[lit-ideas] Re: 80s Child

  • From: Erin Holder <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:43:55 -0400

Of course I remember the 80s. But I remember the 80s for "kids" not the 80s for "adults". The early-mid 90s were just an 80s hangover, and so I got fair chunk of the "adolescent" 80s too. I'm done for the weekend. Summer time is pool time. Happy Canada Day/4th of July, or whatever.

Erin

Quoting Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>:

The Eighties were Margaret Thatcher UGH.  (Says a baby boomer.)

We had Reagan (says the parent of several baby boomers). Erin, do you
really remember that much of the Eighties? Gordon Gekko, that whole crowd?
I'm told it was the 'Me Generation.' As Arnaud (or was it Artaud?) told
Leibniz,
'I can imagine being somebody else, but I can't imagine not being me.'

Culinary note from the era: a sign on SE Woodstock Boulevard advertising
'hand- battered halibut.'

I'm glad I missed the whole thing.

Robert Paul
born several years too soon