[lit-ideas] Re: 500,000

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:01:41 -0800

Paul wrote:
"...why hasn't anyone successfully organized a union at
Wal-mart?"

ck: I don't want to trim your post of its outrage. Let it stand and holler.
I'm with you here. So are some union-organizing people I know in Los
Angeles, btw. Elsewhere, too, I'm sure. You (and the film, from what I've
heard of it) make one excellent point: workers at Wal-Mart, earning so
little already, have very little to lose by trying to unionize--again and
again until they succeed. (This wasn't the case with higher-paid aircraft
workers at United Airlines, for example, who got downsized out of decent
salaries. See last Sunday's NYT feature.) Yeahbut...

You and I may think they have nothing much to lose, but in towns where
Wal-Mart has a real stronghold--those smaller cities--there's hardly another
place to work in retail. And then there's the reality of blacklisting.
What's really scary, at least to me, is that trying to unionize workers is
and has been a firing offense at major US newspapers for at least 20 years
now. Think about that for a second. Then ask yourself how the union movement
can possibly succeed at a time when the media outlets are patently
anti-union.

Carol