[lit-ideas] 500 pixs?

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 14:08:56 -0700

Here's a bit of a question.

I recently took some 550 photographs. These are all digital and fill about
900 MB in png format. I can convert them to jpg format, which fills only 150
MB.

But that's too large (150 MB) for a webpage. And it's not likely anyone will
sit for a 500-photo slideshow.

How does one distribute 550 photos? I'm thinking of putting these on a CD
(only five cents per CD to duplicate on my computer) and sending those out
to friends.

Does anyone have ideas on how to add text to the pixs? Is there some sort of
software that allows one to make "photo albums", with pixs, text, and
navigation buttons (forward, back, etc.)? I don't want the software to
reduce the image size: these are high resolution photos, best seen on a full
screen. One can zoom in quite a few steps.

Has anyone seen software that can do this?

Digital cameras create a new problem: too many photos. A friend has six
256-MB memory chips; she is taking some 2,000 photos per month. How does one
distribute such large amounts of photos?

In Paris at the museums, I saw people who simply walked by the artwork,
holding out their digital cameras, taking photos of everything. Click.
Click. Click. They didn't even slow down. Just click, click, click. Look at
the artwork later.

Kids just photograph everything. They click madly at everything, each other,
whatever.

There's talk of a digital camera pendant that one can wear; it will take a
photo every ten seconds. That's a mere 5,000 pixs per day. You'll be able to
have a "photographic diary" of your life. Okay, yes, it can be done, but how
would one deal with such massive amounts of data? Is this data overkill?

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com